Skip to main content

Nigeria Offers Gambian President Asylum, If He Steps Down



President of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari (R) greets former President of Ghana John Mahama (2nd R) in Abuja on Jan. 9, 2017.


President of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari (R) greets former President of Ghana John Mahama (2nd R) in Abuja on Jan. 9, 2017.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari headed up a delegation to Gambia Friday to offer President Yahya Jammeh asylum if he steps down to allow for a peaceful transfer of power following last month's election.
Jammeh, who has ruled the tiny West African country for 22 years, was declared the loser in Gambia’s December 1 election. His government was accused of numerous rights abuses during his time in office, including arbitrary arrests, torture, and forced disappearances.
The U.S. State Department Human Rights report said “officials routinely used various methods of intimidation to retain power.”
Opposition candidate Adama Barrow, who was declared the winner in the election, said he will continue to plan his inauguration for January 19.
Initially, Jammeh accepted the results, but his political party filed a legal complaint against the electoral commission about a week later, citing voting irregularities.
The Associated Press reports that Gambia's Supreme Court might not be able to hear the challenge until May because it is short of judges. Jammeh wants to wait for the court's decision, according to the AP.
The head of the electoral commission fled to neighboring Senegal after Jammeh accused him in his New Year’s address of falsifying results. Jammeh said no one would cheat him. It was seen as a veiled threat.
Earlier this month, Gambia's army chief reaffirmed his support for Jammeh in a letter published in a pro-government newspaper.
The United Nations and several other African leaders have asked Jammeh to step down peacefully.
West African regional bloc ECOWAS has placed its military force on standby if Jammeh does not step down next week.
Speaking of the ECOWAS high-level mission to Banjul, the head of the U.N.’s office for West Africa and the Sahel, Mohamed Ibn Chambas, Friday told the Security Council that “they plan to leave no doubt about the determination of ECOWAS to use all necessary means, including force, to have the will of the Gambian people upheld.”
“Should this be deemed necessary,” Ibn Chambas continued, “ECOWAS intends to seek the endorsement of the AU Peace and Security Council and the formal approval of this council to deploy troops to the Gambia.”
International military historian at the University Félix Houphouët-Boigny in Abidjan, Arthur Banga, says the Gambian military would likely be no match for ECOWAS forces.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Olamide or Phyno – Who Would You Go For?

  The Trend is on Twitter right now!!! Decided to bring it up here for my Naijareiko Goons – Awon Goons Mi. Oya Lets get it Rolling. Olamide   OR Phyno – Who would you go for anytime? Kindly drop your Reason for choosing any of them.

President Buhari appoints two executive directors to NSIA board

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of two Executive Directors to the Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) Board. Mrs. Stella Ojekwe-Onyejeli has been reappointed as Executive Director for a second term. She is also the Chief Operating officer of NSIA. Mr. Aminu Umar-Sadiq, who is NSIA’s Deputy Head of Direct Investments, has been appointed, for the first time, as Executive Director. A statement from the NSIA on Wednesday announced that the appointments “followed the realignment in 2018 of NSIA’s strategy with a pivot towards domestic infrastructure, as reflected in the allocation of 50% of future contributions to infrastructure investments.” Mr. Jide Zeitlin, Chairman, NSIA Board of Directors said: “These appointments strengthen the Authority’s executive team and are consistent with our focus on maintaining a broadly representative leadership team and workforce so as to ensure that the institution remains a key participant in Nigeria’s ...

HOW TO EXTEND YOUR MTN BIS TO UPTO 6 MONTHS FOR FREE

Yay!!! Good News to all MTN Subscribers using Blackberry. Naijaloaded finally unlocked the Code/Scope on How to Use your BIS for upto 6Months for Free. I don't believe this either when a Friend (Akin) sent it some days back, but it was tested and Guess what it works perfectly, Akin was the same Guy who sent us the Scope on How to Use MTN BIS on PC back then. After trying the Code below, My BIS Expire just last month and am still able to Ping and Browse on my Blackberry for 2 Months now without any Traces of it to Expire soonest. NOTE:- This is an Oppourtunity for some Students or NYSC Members to Make little money while on Campus/Camp, Don't dull yourself, December is fast Approaching. HOW TO EXTEND YOUR MTN BIS TO UPTO 6 MONTHS FOR FREE 1. Get this Step Clearly, Set your Blackberry date 6 Months ahead anytime you want to Subscribe for New MTN BIS e.g Lets say you want to Subscribe for a new BIS, Today is 8/Nov/2012, You can set the date to 8/April/2013....